Accessibility Tools

Skip to main content

Overseas Electricity

United States vs. European Electricity:

USA: 110-120 Volts 60 hertz

United Kingdom: 220-240 Volts 50 hertz
Electrical plugs have three rectangular pins and take fuses of 3, 5 and 13 amps.

You will need a transformer for appliances that have been brought in from other countries, such as laptops, hairdryers, and phone chargers. 

Dual Voltage (& Hertz) Devices

If a device is dual voltage / hertz it only requires a simple plug adapter. If your device is dual voltage / hertz, its power source will be labeled: “110-240V, 50-60Hz”.

These may only require an adaptor of plug shape: if it is dual voltage or the correct voltage but the plug is not three-prong. 

You must be sure the voltage is correct or it could ruin the device, or start an electrical fire. 

An adaptor changes the shape of the plug, but the voltage must be 240V / 50 Hz.
A transformer changes the voltage so that a 110-120V / 60 Hz device can be plugged into the wall which conducts 240V / 50 Hz. 

Adapter vs. Transformer

Plug Adapter

Allows dual voltage electronics to fit into electrical outlet of host nation without voltage conversion. Just be sure the plug can handle the item’s wattage.


Used to adjust voltage [Not Hertz] for electronics with chips or circuit boards. It can be used continuously. Ensure the total wattage of items plugged in does not exceed the max wattage of the transformer. The base furniture management office will issue you 2 transformers (pending availability).