Accessibility Tools

Skip to main content

Pet Registration

Pet Registration

Register your pet(s) with the RAF Feltwell Veterinary Treatment Clinic within 14 days of moving into Military Family Housing on one of the local bases, or if you get a new pet while you are living on base.

If you’ve brought your pet or plan to get one, familiarize yourself with the ins and outs of life for you and your pets while living in the U.K.

Registering Your Pet

Provide the following documents for registration:

Documents to bring to registration:

  • DD Form 2343
  • Veterinary Health Record
  • Copy of PCS orders
  • ID card
  • Copy of the pet’s vaccination/medical records

Vaccinations to Obtain

Before arrival and during residency the following are required:

  • Rabies - Both dogs and cats must get an annual rabies vaccination if you’re planning to obtain a pet passport. The vaccination is good for three years.
  • Worming, flea, and tick - Ensure pet is on these preventive medicines year-round.
  • Distemper - Annual vaccination.
  • Hepatitis - Annual vaccination. 
  • Parvovirus - Annual vaccination.
  • Leptospirosis - Annual vaccination.

Note: Vaccinations can be completed on RAF Feltwell or an off-base vet clinic near you.

Local Pet Regulations and Laws

You may get an unlimited fine or be sent to prison for up to 6 months if you don’t look after an animal properly: Read more here

Under the Animal Welfare Act you must:

  • Provide a proper diet
  • Provide a suitable place to live
  • Keep animal away from other animals depending on its’ needs
  • Allow the pet to express itself and behave normally
  • Protect from, and treat for, illness and injury

Keep dogs on a leash/lead, and under control.  Use the on-base dog parks available at RAF Mildenhall and RAF Lakenheath for off-leash time.

Let your neighbors know if your dog barks to alleviate any concerns locally. 

  • It’s essential to ensure your pet has a collar with ID tags on at all times. The information on the tag should include their name, your phone number and address.
  • Must have their 15-digit international microchip. This needs to be registered to a UK microchip company, as US registration will not transfer. 
  • You must pick up after dog when out in public. You could face large fines if seen by authorities without bags to clean up your dog’s mess.
RAF Feltwell Vet Clinic

Contact the RAF Feltwell Vet Clinic for details of off base provides for emergencies and out of hours assistance. 

Lost & Found

If your pet gets loose and you’re living on RAF Mildenhall call 100 SFS

Commercial +44 (0)1638-54-2667

DSN 238-2667

If residing at RAF Lakenheath call 48 SFS

Commercial +44 (0)1638-52-2333

DSN 226-2333

If living off base, call the Police on the non-emergency number:  101.  The local council can assist, as well as off-base Vet Clinics.

Going on Vacation or Deployment?

Going on holiday/vacation or deployment?  Have a plan for your pets.  Arrange either a kennel or cattery or take your pet to someone else’s house for them to look after while you’re away.  Get an updated ID tag for temporary locations.

Traveling with Pets

Bringing your pet along for the ride as you tour Europe? Follow the requirements below to avoid any issues:

  • Rabies vaccination must be up to date and given after 15-digit international microchip was implanted.
  • If you plan to take your dog on a trip that is longer than one to five days outside of the U.K., you have to find a vet in the country you’re traveling to get your pet a worming shot before coming back to the U.K.
  • Pets must be contained while riding in a vehicle (carrier, harness, or seat belt).
  • A pet passport must be with you and your pet at all times.
  • Check the UK Government Pet Passport pages for the most current information regarding pet passports.

As always, it is best to check with your local vet in advance to ensure you have everything in order before your trip.

Traveling without Your Pet

There may be some trips where your pet can’t tag along. Find a local boarding facility that you trust to take care of your pet while you explore Europe. Ask friends and colleagues for recommendations and tour the facility for yourself.

Thinking About Getting a Puppy?

Whether you’re looking to adopt or purchase a dog, it’s best to understand the following information.

  • Reflect on if you have the time and money to take on the responsibility.
  • Research the shelter or breeder intensively to ensure they are legitimate.
  • Watch for warning signs of the facility or breeder.
  • Know the signs of a healthy puppy.
  • For in-depth information on legitimate facilities, warning signs, health standards and more, visit these links

Local Off-Base Vet Clinics

Taking your pet to an off-base veterinarian clinic is recommended for emergency, specialty needs, and basic care.

RAF Feltwell Veterinary Treatment Facility

Commercial +44 (0)1638-52-7097

DSN 238-7097

Email: [email protected]