Pregnancy in the UK
It is vital that during your first months of pregnancy you make the necessary arrangements that are best for you and your family. During your pregnancy, you can receive prenatal care at your installation’s medical center.
- RAF Lakenheath Hospital
- For those stationed in areas without labor and delivery services on-base, you can enroll in the Stork Nesting program by contacting your primary health care provider to be easily transitioned to RAF Lakenheath to deliver. The program includes lodging and transportation as needed.
- Your installation’s closest off-base hospital
- Fly back to the US for delivery
- If you choose to go back to the U.S. you will have to wait for the birth certificate, SSN, and passport to come in before returning to the UK with the baby.
First Steps After Giving Birth
- Obtain your baby’s Social Security Number.
- Photos need to be taken for your baby’s passport.
- Enroll your baby in DEERS.
- Contact local TRICARE office for enrollment information.
- Get a no-fee U.S. passport.
- Get a U.S. tourist passport.
- Get a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), a birth certificate for babies born overseas.
- Add your baby to the Command Sponsorship Database.
Upon Arrival Topics
- Start 100th PCS
- Transport from the Airport
- RAF Mildenhall Welcome & In-Processing
- Travel Allowance
- Child & Youth Programs Registration
- School Registration
- Pet Registration
- Driving Overseas
- Buying & Renting a Car
- Vehicle Registration
- Fuel Card
- Medical, Dental & Eye Care
- Mental Health, Family Advocacy, & Health Promotions
- Pregnancy in the UK
- Finding a Home
- Overseas Electricity
- Bills Banks & Exchange Rates