Accessibility Tools

Skip to main content

Buying & Renting a Car

When you need to buy or rent a car there are several options available to you. NOTE: Car rental fees are not reimbursable, however it may benefit you if your car has not arrived when searching for a home and exploring the local community.

Pass & Registration

Contact the Pass & Registration Office for all vehicle, driving license, & Restricted Area Badge transactions.

Pass & Registration Office 

Commercial +44 (0)1638-54-5501 / 6093

DSN 238-5501 / 6093

Email [email protected] 

Location Bldg 438, Washington Square, RAF Mildenhall.

Hours Monday - Friday: 8:00 am – 4:00 pm 
Walk in Hours 1 - 3 pm daily

Basics of Driving in the UK

The British vehicle registration document (V5) is both the title and registration document for the vehicle. It is used for all things relating to the vehicle: physical changes, the color or the engine for example; changes of ownership; notification of sale to a dealership; scrapping the vehicle, and exporting the vehicle. It will also show the vehicles’ taxation status. Within the document, there are guidance notes to assist you.

To legally drive on UK roads, aside from the driver having a valid driving license, the vehicle will need the following;

  • Motor insurance. Note: The driver needs to be named on the insurance policy for the vehicle. The vehicle being insured but without the driver being named on the policy is not sufficient to meet the required standard, except where specifically listed. For example it may say ‘Any driver over 25 years of age’.

  • An in date MOT. The Ministry of Transport (MOT) test is an annual safety inspection required on all vehicles over 3 years old. The MOT stays with the vehicle and is passed from the seller to the new buyer. If you buy a British car make sure you check that the MOT is in date, when it is due to expire, that it is signed and the correct VIN is listed on it before leaving the seller.
    • In most cases your insurance will be invalidated if you drive without an MOT. That means you’ll be breaking the law twice:  first by driving without a valid MOT and second for driving without valid insurance.  Make a note of when the next MOT is due, and consider signing up for a reminder email / text through the UK government website.

  • Road Tax: This can be paid on line at the DVLA web site, or at some, but not all, UK Post Offices. Guidance to help with this can be found within the Registration Document and on the UK government website at

Buying a Vehicle

If you are going to buy a British vehicle from an individual or a British dealership you will need to follow these instructions:

  1. Get the owner/dealer to fill in the relevant part of the V5 British Registration document naming you as the new registered keeper of the vehicle. They will need to give you the green new keepers slip (V5C/2) and send the rest to DVLA, the UKs national DMV. The new keepers slip will allow you to purchase road (vehicle) tax, get gas on base and register the vehicle with the Pass and Registration Office. If you are given all of the V5, take it to the Pass & Registration office to register the vehicle and they will send this to DVLA on your behalf.
  2. When you come to dispose of the vehicle either by sale or scrap, remember to visit Pass and Registration with proof of the disposal. This is so that the vehicle can be removed from your record. Failure to do so could result in a delay to your leaving the base when you finally PCS.

Renting a Vehicle

If an individual wishes to rent a vehicle instead of buying, they will still be able to obtain tax-free fuel on base.  The individual(s) will show their CAC along with the rental agreement and their 3AF USAFE Form 435 (Driver’s license/fuel card) to the operator at the gas pumps and pay after pumping.

You will be required to insure the vehicle at the time of rental so do be prepared to call your insurance company to obtain temporary insurance. 

Registering a Vehicle

Follow this Vehicle Registration link for details to register your vehicle in the UK and on-base with the Pass and Registration Office.