Accessibility Tools

Skip to main content

Work, Volunteer, Learn

Make it Work for You

Discover what works for you and your family — whether you land a great job, volunteer with an amazing organization, further your education, or find other ways for personal enrichment. What matters is utilizing your time in England to benefit your future to the best of your ability.


Like many other overseas locations, it can be a challenging environment for spouses who are seeking employment. It is common for applicants to wait six months or longer to land a job that aligns with their education and/or experience.

Employment Opportunities On Base

  • Federal and Non-Appropriated Fund (NAF) positions support installations through services in Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) and Force Support Squadrons (FSS). Hours range from regular, full-time to flexible part-time with varying employment benefits.: These positions provide support through various functions across the installation.  Jobs are listed through the Office of Personnel Management at

  • DODEA-Europe: These schools offer full-time positions, substitute teachers, administrative staff and educational aids. Go to .

  • Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES): Apply at or through local human resources offices.

  • Community banks and credit unions: Jobs as bank tellers and managers.

  • Defense Commissary Agency (DECA): Jobs at commissaries.

  • Defense Contractors: Job opportunities in technology, management, accounting, and administration are available with contracting firms. Your installation’s contracting office and M&FRC office will have information about vacancies.

Federal Employment Preferences

Starting 30 days before you arrive at a new duty station, military spouses can apply to government jobs using preferences for job consideration (if you meet all criteria). You’ll have:
  • Military Spouse Preference (MSP)
  • Overseas Family Member Preference
  • Search USAJobs to apply

  • PCS Orders listing your name
  • Marriage License

Employment Opportunities Off Base

  • As part of the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA), command-sponsored family members (military or civilian) with a vignette stamp in their U.S. no-fee passport (and no employment restrictions on their passport) are able to work on the British economy without a work permit.

  • You must apply for a National Insurance Number when hired for work.

  • Jobcentres are government-run employment offices. You can search for jobs on their website at

  • If you’re looking for work, starting work or setting up as self-employed you will need a National Insurance Number (NIN). 

  • Contact Jobcentre Plus at 0800-141-2075 to arrange to get a NIN.
    They may require for you to attend an “evidence of identity” interview. Visit this link for details.

  • British Income Tax: If you work in the U.K., you will have to pay income tax. The tax is collected by the Inland Revenue U.K .government department.

  • Tax is paid based on your income during the tax year, between April 6 and April 5 the next year. For details see this link.
    Additional questions regarding British income tax may be directed to the Legal Office at DSN 238-2028 or commercial 01638-54-2028. 

Working as a Nurse in the UK

Many of our US-earned degrees and qualifications are not automatically recognized in the UK. One primary example is nursing. To work in a full nursing capacity in England, you must register and be accredited by the NMC – United Kingdom Nursing and Midwifery Council. Our BSN (Bachelor of Science in Nursing) seems to be the only nursing degree being granted reciprocity. For Associate Degree Nursing (AND) the accreditation process has proved less than successful. If you are interested in having your nursing qualifications evaluated, request an application package for “Foreign-Trained Nurses” by contacting:

NMC (Nursing & Midwifery Council) 23 Portland Place London W1B 1PZ Tel: 02073 339333

Nurses MUST register with the NMC to work in the UK. The Computer Based Test CBT can be taken anywhere in the world online at a cost of 80 GB pounds. The Objective Structured Clinical Examination OSCE practical test ONLY takes place in the UK at a cost of 800 GB pounds. Realistically allow 6-12 months until obtaining a PIN  ( registration number) for which there is an annual fee to work in the UK. Once you are qualified, you can work for a Nursing Agency, Hospital, or Private Home. (Costs correct as of Nov 21).


While many may feel more qualified to hold a volunteer title, there is so much to take away and learn as a volunteer. More often than not, this is the main avenue people take to eventually land a great job. Volunteering can help you gain experience and network to land a paid position in the future.

Volunteer Opportunities

Start making connections, visit the M&FRC, FSS, MWR and other offices for volunteer opportunities.  Areas on base often looking for volunteers may include:

- Youth Sports program for season coaches (call DSN 314-238-5437, commercial 011-44-1638-545437)

- Red Cross (

- Trader Winston’s (Thrift Shop) located between the RAF Mildenhall BX and Commissary and operated by Mildenhall Spouses’ Association.  See Facebook page: .

- Airman’s Attic, operated by Mildenhall Spouses’ Association, see Facebook page:

- Food Pantry, see Facebook Group for Team Mildenhall Food Pantry

- Spouse's Association

Reach out to various offices across the installation that aligns with the career field you’re interested in. You never know if they need volunteers or are willing to let people shadow them. 

For off base local opportunities contact the Community Relations Adviser (call DSN 314-238-2254 or commercial 011-44-1638-54-2254) and consider searching online at


Taking the time to advance your education can help you excel in the future. Educational opportunities on installations in England come with a variety of programs at universities partnered with the DoD. Check with the Education Office to see what colleges are available to you on-site.

College / Technical Training

If you’ve ever considered taking your education a step further, you should look to your installation for more information and assistance. They can help you decide if receiving an advanced degree is right for you, tell you which local colleges and classes are offered, and find out if you’re eligible for tuition assistance. The Voluntary Education Center, or Installation Education Center, is available to help you put together a plan to advance your education.

Military spouses can also choose to engage with an education and career coach through the DoD’s Spouse Education and Career Opportunities program or SECO.  These coaches can assist them in exploring multiple tools, resources, and information to reach their educational goals.  To contact a career coach call 800-342-9647 or visit 

College Classes

The University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) offers courses leading to undergraduate degrees in business administration, management, social work, and computer science and information systems management along with 15 other majors available for a bachelor's degree. They also provide a wide range of courses including general education requirements for the Community College of the Air Force. Master's degrees are offered in Business Administration (MBA), Cybersecurity, Information Technology (MSIT), Management - Criminal Justice, Management - Homeland Security, and Social Work. UMUC also offers certification in a number of different fields. For more information and office hours call UMGC.

University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) Office

Commercial +44 (0)1638-54-4173/2109/3176 

DSN 238-4173/2109/3176 

[email protected].

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University offers Associate, Bachelor, and Master degrees in technical fields such as Aeronautics, Aviation Maintenance, Engineering, Logistics, Occupational Safety & Health, Business Analytics, and Unmanned Systems, among others. There are a range of Minors and Specializations to complement each degree, some of which include Environmental Science, Meteorology, and Aviation Safety. Courses are available face-to-face, online, and via blended learning formats. For more information call ERAU.

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University Mildenhall Office

Commercial +44 (0)1638-54-2916/3185

DSN 238-2916/3185

[email protected]

University of Oklahoma offers degrees in a Master of Human Relations and Master of Arts in International Relations. These are intense programs, both online and face-to-face, that will allow you to complete a Master’s program in 16-24 months. For more information and office hours call the University of Oklahoma

University of Oklahoma

Commercial +44 (0)1638-54-4172

DSN 238-4172

[email protected] 

List of Universities

Central Texas College Europe:

Primarily associate degrees and practical training. The Advanced Skills Education Program develops leadership qualities within non-commissioned and junior officers. Offers face-to-face and online courses.

Community College of the Air Force: 

Accredited degrees and courses for qualified personnel.

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University: 

Certifications, undergraduate and graduate degrees. Offers face-to-face and online courses.

University of Maryland University College:

Undergraduate and graduate certificates as well as associate, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs. Offers face-to-face and online courses.

The University of Oklahoma: 

Online and independent study options for some classes. Face-to-face advanced degrees available.

Other schools: Many U.S.-based schools offer online courses or have European satellite locations, and some European universities offer programs for English speakers.

Installation Education Center

Mildenhall Education Services Office is located in Washington Square, Bldg 427. Office hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Contact us to discuss commissioning programs, VA education benefits, Community College of the Air Force and civilian degree opportunities, and financial aid options. Contact us by phone at DSN 238-2350; Comm 01638 542350 or email at [email protected].

Tuition Assistance

The Air Force provides military tuition assistance (MilTA) for the cost of tuition not to exceed $250 per semester hour credit and $166.66 per quarter hour credit, and a fiscal year annual MilTA cap of $4,500, applicable to all eligible Airmen.

Civilian Tuition Assistance Program (CTAP) is available to permanent full-time appropriated fund employees. The goal of the CTAP is to assist civilians in their continued self-development and includes coursework from the associates up to the PhD level at an accredited college or university listed in the DoD Voluntary Education Partnership Memorandum of Understanding directory and can be used for up to 75% of tuition cost, but may not exceed $250.00 per semester hour or $166.00 per quarter hour and $4,500 per fiscal year. Further information can be found on the myPers website or by contacting the Total Force Support Center.

The My Career Advancement Account Scholarship is a workforce development program that provides eligible military spouses with financial assistance for licenses, certifications or associate degrees to pursue an occupation or career field. For information on MyCAA please visit

Note: For tuition assistance and financial aid information, visit , or the Education Office