Accessibility Tools

Skip to main content

Shipping Household Goods (HHG)

Traffic Management Office

Bldg 426, RAF Mildenhall, APO AE 09459

Commercial +44 (0)1638-54-2201/2202

DSN 238-2201/2202

Mon, Tues, Wed, Thur, Fri: 9 am - 3 pm
Sat & Sun: Closed

What are you allowed to bring?

Your PCS orders authorize you to ship your Household Goods (HHG) at the government’s expense. There is a weight limit based on your rank and family status.

You can check your weight allowances and estimate the weight of your HHG before you start to set up your move. Moving allowances are generally based on the overall weight of your HHG. Any overages on your approved weight will be your financial responsibility, so work hard to make sure you stay within your weight allowance.

The importation of weapons, knives, and firearms is strictly prohibited and can result in a prison sentence of 10 years to life. 

What are you not allowed to bring?

Service members, civilians and family members preparing for a permanent change of station move to the U.K. must make arrangements to leave firearms, swords and other weapons behind before scheduling their move with the Traffic Management Office.

Including hunting rifles, knives and display weapons may seem standard when it comes to preparing a typical household good shipment. However, this is not the case when moving to the U.K. Here, importing these items is punishable as a criminal offense under British law. Members can also face additional repercussions through their chain of command for failing to comply with Air Force instructions and falsifying documents.

The Department of Defense Personal Property Consignment Instruction Guide states: "It is strongly recommended that no firearms, parts of firearms, imitation or replica firearms, ammunition (live or inert) or other weapons are imported to the U.K." This includes, but is not limited to: handguns, automatic and burst fire weapons, semi-automatic and pump-action rifled weapons, parts of firearms, air and BB rifles and airsoft realistic imitation firearms. Ammunition is also prohibited in DoD-arranged personal property shipments.

Arranging Household Good Shipments

Once you receive your orders, you should begin to plan what items you will take in your unaccompanied baggage, in your HHG shipment, and what might need to go into permanent storage.

U.K. homes are much smaller than U.S. homes. Consider leaving oversized furniture in permanent storage as doorways, hallways, and bedrooms may not accommodate these items. 

Also, most do not have closets or much storage space. Consider putting large appliances in government storage since the Furnishings Management Section lends families major appliances (depending on availability) once in U.K.

Start an Inventory List

Valuable Household Goods: If it is not listed specifically on your mover’s inventory form, it does not exist. Before packing day, create an inventory of all valuable household goods listing the item, brand, model, and serial number. Ensure the moving company includes the list of your valuable items on their inventory forms before you sign off on the sheet.

HHG Video & Pictures: State the date in videos or show the date in photos.

Packing Day: Organize valuable items in one area and explain that all of those items must be listed on inventory sheets in order for you to sign off on your paperwork. List any damage done to your home or property during packing before signing paperwork.

Tips: Put all the items that you do not want to be packed up in a separate bedroom or closet.  For small hardware pieces and electronic cords consider having Ziploc or similar bags and a marker pen to help identify what items go together.

Personally Procured Move (PPM)

Alternate means of moving your personal property. You must obtain weight tickets/receipts and request reimbursement.  Includes postal shipments.  Do not utilize flat rate boxes.

You will be reimbursed for postal shipping rates for fees incurred if you are at or below your max weight. Receipt with cost, weight, and PCS orders will need to be provided to TMO to claim reimbursement.

Special HHG Considerations:

  • Airmen in Dorms: Allotted 500 pounds Unaccompanied Baggage (UB) or 10% by surface Joint Travel Regulations (JTR) weight allowance.
  • Shipments After Arrival: Allowed if 12 months left on tour.

Service Member and/or Spouse Pro-Gear

Pro-gear is work-related equipment. It must be completely separated from the rest of your items so that they can be packed, marked, and weighed separately. These items are not included in the total weight of household goods.

What is considered pro-gear?
Services members are authorized: 2,000 lbs. and spouses are authorized 500 lbs.

Unaccompanied Baggage (UB)

This is an air freight shipment. These are the smaller household electronics, kitchen appliances and household goods you’ll want to have just as you move into your new home overseas.

On average transit time is 30-45 days to ship your UB.

Consider packing:

  • Kitchen: Dishes, pots/pans, mixing bowls, casserole dish, cutting board, chopping knife, silverware, strainer, wine/beer opener, paper towels, plastic ware, cooking utensils, kitchen towels, smaller consumables that you may need.
  • Bath:  Towels, washcloths, and toilet paper.
  • Bed: Pillows, sheets, air mattress, mattress cover, rugs, clothes (check the weather – consider a mix of cold and warm weather items), hangers, and crib.
  • Other: Bicycle (a must for getting around easily) and gear, dual-voltage electronics (e.g. smaller 44 inch TV & DVD player).  Consider pack and play, and small toys for children.

For more details click here