Accessibility Tools

Skip to main content

Passports & Visas

Important Passport & Visa Info

Arriving in the UK without the appropriate documents could result in your family being denied entry or deported. There are also consequences for unaccompanied dependents (those who are in-country where the sponsor is NOT assigned).  Please contact the Military Personnel Flight.

For further assistance contact the Passport Office.

Commercial +44 (0)1638-54-2222
Option 2

DSN 238-2222
Option 2

[email protected] 

Official Passport

The official passport can only be obtained if an active duty member is traveling to a country that requires the official passport and/or visa upon entry, based on the foreign clearance guide. This passport CANNOT be used for leisure travel. It can only be used for official travel purposes (deployments, TDY, etc.). This passport is free of charge and paid for by the DOD U.S. Government.

Special Issuance Passport

For the Special Issuance Agency here at RAF Mildenhall to process an Official Passport members must adhere by the checklist. The members requesting a Special Issuance passport must present their Orders (CED/TDY/VOCO), when normal conditions exist for entry into the country.

Waiver Options

When orders are unavailable customers/units may request official passports using one of the three waiver options. Under normal conditions, passports can normally be processed within six to eight weeks.

Waiver Options:

Option 1) a memo in lieu of orders;

Option 2) a deployment/movement memorandum;

 *** The memorandum request must be signed by an O-6 or equivalent from the organization that is requesting the exception***

Option 3) a passport waiver request

352 SOW  - The approved 16 Oct 18 SIA waiver memo falls under option 3, but will be in addition to the three Option Waivers.

NOTE: Keep in mind that options one and two above are preferred, available options to Commanders when orders are not available and conditions exist that satisfy the requirements of either of these options. 

No-Fee Passport

All dependents must be command sponsored and have a U.S. no fee passport to accompany military members on your tour to the U.K. All U.S. Civilian employees, and their dependents must have a Visa prior to arrival in the country. U.S. Contractors must have Visas reflecting their contract terms. The Visa may cost approximately $1000.00 (prices subject to change) and is a reimbursable expense. An "Official No-Fee Passport" can be obtained from your local Military Personnel Section.

No-Fee Passport Information

No-fee passports are not to be used for leisure travel; they are for official travel only.

According to the Foreign Clearance Guide Eligible Family members (U.S. Citizens) are required to obtain a No-Fee passport prior to departure to the United Kingdom. The no-fee passport can only be obtained if dependents are on orders or command sponsored and are stationed overseas. This passport CANNOT be used for leisure travel. It can only be used when entering the country, the member is stationed at. If the member requires an exemption vignette, it will also be placed in the No-Fee passport. Eligible family members and DOD military members do not require a visa for country entrance. All members are required to always travel with their PCS Orders, NATO Orders, and military ID.

Tourist Passport

Military members must obtain a Tourist Passport for leisure travel to other countries. Command-sponsored family members (U.S. Citizens) are highly encouraged to have both Tourist and No-Fee Passports while residing in the United Kingdom.

Apply for tourist passports at any U.S. Post Office or visit:

Member is responsible for fees incurred to obtain a tourist passport.

Tourist Passport Information

Military members must obtain a tourist passport for leisure travel to other countries.

Command-sponsored family members (U.S. citizens) are highly encouraged to have both tourist and no-fee passports while residing in United Kingdom. Travelers planning to perform unofficial (personal) travel during or in conjunction with their official overseas assignments, should obtain (at their own expense) a Regular (Tourist) Passport prior to departure from CONUS. If members are unable to obtain a tourist passport prior to their PCS from CONUS or OCONUS, they may obtain a tourist passport at the RAF Mildenhall Passport location.

Apply for tourist passports at any U.S. Post Office or visit:  Member is responsible for fees incurred to obtain a tourist passport.

Tourist Passport and Other Fees
  • Tour Passport Adult (Age 16+) / New or Replacement $165
  • Tour Passport Adult (Age 16+) / Renewal $130
  • Tour Passport Minor (Under Age 16) / $135
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad / $100
  • Accept money orders or cashier checks: no cash, credit cards, or personal checks.
  • Locations for money orders: USPS, Community Bank, Kessler Credit Union

Exemption Vignette

DOD Military members and family members do not require a visa upon entry or for their duration of time in the United Kingdom. The exemption vignette which acts as a Visa allows dependents (spouses and children under 21 years of age) of military members to reside in country for the duration of their sponsors’ tour. It is encouraged as it can assist with off base employment, UK schooling, renting UK property, UK Entry, etc. The vignette is free and will be placed in the no-fee passport or foreign passport. This document is not required but is high recommended for foreign dependents.

All Passport and Vignette Processes can take 8-10 weeks.

More information: 100 FSS Passport Office

DoD Contractors & Civilians

DOD civilians, DOD-sponsored contractors and their eligible family members are required to provide biometric data as part of the UK visa application.

Finger scans will be collected from each applicant with an electronic scanner. No ink, liquid or chemical will be used. Ensure fingertips are free from decorations (e.g. henna tattoos), cuts, abrasions, or other markings.

Photographs will be taken with a digital camera. Ensure facial cuts and bruises have healed or disappeared prior to the appointment, and understand photographs will not be taken if the applicant’s face is concealed in any way (e.g. head coverings that cover part of the face, dark glasses, or face or neck coverings.

Within the United States

WITHIN the United States, biometric data collection is accomplished at any of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Application Support Center (ASC) locations throughout the United States. During the online visa application process, applicants are directed to a biometric scheduling website. Once an appointment is scheduled, applicants must visit the USCIS ASC where fingers cans and digital photographs will be taken.

Outside the United States

OUTSIDE the United States, biometric data collection is accomplished at various locations based on the country applying from. For further information about the application process from overseas countries, visit

100 FSS Passport Office

100 FSS Passport Office provides:

  • Passports (tourist, no-fee, official, diplomatic) for military, DoD civilians, and dependents of military & DoD civilians (not contractors).
  • Visas for official travel for military & DoD civilians & their dependents (not for tourist travel)
  • SSN cards for newborns, replacement, and name changes
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad for newborns

Visit: 100 FSS Passport Office for more information.

Visit the following websites for more passport and visa information: