RAF Mildenhall Welcomes You!
Keeping it 100 before, upon, and after your arrival.
Congratulations on your assignment to RAF Mildenhall, England! The 100th Air Refueling Wing is RAF Mildenhall's current host wing, and the only permanent U.S. air refueling wing in the European theater, activated here on February 1, 1992. The wing provides the critical air refueling "bridge" that allows the Expeditionary Air Force to deploy around the globe on a moment's notice. The Bloody Hundredth is comprised of the 100th Maintenance Group, the 100th Mission Support Group, and the 100th Operations Group. There are several mission partners at Team Mildenhall including the 352d Special Operations Wing, 727th Air Mobility Squadron, 95th Reconnaissance Squadron, 488th Intelligence Squadron, and U.S. Air Forces in Europe –United Kingdom.
During your time away from work, you will have an opportunity to see all that the United Kingdom and mainland Europe have in store for you. You can explore the local area, discover the history, and embrace the culture of life in the United Kingdom (UK), which includes Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) and Northern Ireland as well as exploring further afield.
Within 30 minutes’ drive you’ll find open-air markets in the local towns of Mildenhall, Bury St Edmunds, Newmarket, and Ely, and on a bigger scale in the cities of Cambridge and Norwich. Newmarket is known for its’ horse racing, and Bury St Edmunds has the wonderful Abbey Gardens and a cathedral to explore. Cambridge offers a chance to go punting on the river – the English equivalent of a gondola in Venice! Discover the archeology and history of the area with castles, country houses, national parks, and a varied coastline within two hours’ drive.
Visit the airfield at Thorpe Abbotts to learn the history of the 100th Bomb Group and the 100th Air Refueling Wing. Within a 2-hour drive or train ride, you will reach London, where when the restrictions ease you may be able to see a West End show, visit various attractions such as the London Eye, Buckingham Palace, museums, parks, and enjoy a city bus or river tour.
At first, it may feel overwhelming, however, soon you will be settled in and quickly learn the ins and outs of living in the United Kingdom. Your sponsor will help you throughout this process and you’ll be part of Team Mildenhall’s family. We are excited about your arrival and look forward to seeing you around the base.
*Disclaimer, any companies or websites listed on the following pages are not federally endorsed; the details are shared for information only.
4 Things to Get Started Right Away & Keep in Mind
- Passports & Visas: All dependents must be command sponsored and have a U.S. no fee passport to accompany military members on your tour to the U.K.
- Hotel Reservations: Due to COVID-19, incoming members may need to undergo 10-day quarantine and Restriction of Movement depending on their specific situation and the country of departure. Please read the Commanders Directives for specific rules and guidelines.
- Shipping Household Goods (HHG): Learn to split your household goods (HHG) into various shipments to get settled sooner.
- Cell Phones & Staying in Touch: Learn about cell phones & staying in touch while overseas.
Key Spouse Program - Spouse Connecting Spouses
Key Spouses are a vital link between unit leadership and families. They help your family prepare for separations due to deployments and long-term TDYs and can direct your family to resources on base.
Key Spouses also help you connect to your unit and Team Mildenhall as well as provide information regarding overseas PCS, the base and surrounding area, squadron Facebook page, etc. Key Spouses help to provide inbound spouse resources for a smooth transition and easier integration into spouse programs in order to improve unit morale.
Please connect with your unit's Key Spouse(s) today! If you are interested in becoming a Key Spouse or would like to connect with your unit, contact your First Sergeant for more information.
If you’re having trouble connecting with your Key Spouse, please email the M&FRC team at [email protected].
Plan Your Move
If you are within 90 days of your Report No Later Than Date and you have yet to hear from your sponsor, please contact the Military & Family Readiness Center at [email protected] to help you get connected. Call DSN 314-238-3406 or commercial 011-44-1638-54-3406
- Ensure you have contact details for your sponsor and supervisor in case you need assistance
- Only wear civilian clothes while traveling and off the installation
- Who will meet you at the airport (Name of taxi / Outdoor Rec / Sponsor)
- Who will meet you on base, and where to go when you arrive at RAF Mildenhall
During the relocation process and upon arrival
- What time and how to get into your room (Dorm or Lodging)
- What cooking facilities will be available in your room
- What food & other essential items will be arranged to help you get through any required quarantine time
- What the COVID requirements are, if you are required to quarantine (what dates), and reporting procedures.
RAF Mildenhall has resilience agencies to ensure your safety and success. Click here for helpful agencies.
Before Arrival Topics
- Start 100th PCS
- Getting Started
- Command Sponsorship
- EFMP Screening
- Passports & Visas
- Book Lodging
- Book Travel
- Traveling with Pets
- Shipping Household Goods
- Shipping Vehicle
- Set Up Overseas P.O. Box
- Child Care & Youth Programs Prep
- School Registration Prep
- Legal Services
- Cell Phones & Keeping in Touch
- Credit Cards