When to Book Flights
Once you receive travel orders, contact the nearest Traffic Management Office (TMO). All official travel will be arranged by TMO in accordance with DoD order of precedence. Additional travel information can be found on Defense Traffic Management Office website. All official travel must be arranged by the TMO Passenger Travel section.
Call to reserve seats 90 days from RNLTD. Use of the Patriot Express (rotator) is required if traveling from CONUS. For details, click here.
Individually Billed Account (IBA)
With an IBA, DoD member will, use a Government Travel Card (GTC) to pay for flight plans made at the Commercial Travel Office (CTO). The DoD member will then claim reimbursement by filling out a travel voucher during in-processing in the U.K.
Centrally Billed Account (CBA)
Use of a Centrally Billed Account (CBA) is authorized when the traveler meets the IBA exemption criteria in the Government Travel Card Regulation DoDI 5154.31, Volume 4, paragraphs 040601 and 040602. Additionally, the use of CBA should be stated on the orders.
Booking Flight & Ticketing Process
All travel arrangements must be made through the Traffic Management Office (TMO) at your losing duty station.
- Determine your desired travel dates. Travel is from the airport nearest to your losing duty station (or location on orders) to the port of debarkation (arrival airport) on orders.
- Provide an email and point of contact
- The TMO Passenger Travel team will email your reservation (it is not a ticket).
- Once you have received orders, please get in contact with TMO Passenger Travel.
- TMO Passenger Travel will most likely send you a reservation worksheet to complete and return to them.
- Once TMO PAX has received the reservation worksheet, TMO will most likely have an over-the-phone counseling session with you.
- Following this you may receive an itinerary approx. 7 days after the counseling session
- When you are 5-7 days from your departing date, TMO Passenger Travel will send your itinerary to SATO for ticketing
- After receiving your E-Tickets, TMO Passenger Travel will sign you out in VMPF.
Preparing for Flight Day
Ask your airline if you can carry certain childcare items onto the plane (i.e. strollers, pack-n-plays, and car seats)
- Hand-carry medical, dental, and school records
- Hand-carry important family documents
- Hand-carry pet documentation, pet food, and supplies
- Ensure you have contact info for your overseas sponsor, hotel, etc.
- Sign up for free call/message apps on phone/tablet
- Bring an international adapter (great for overseas layovers)
- Check Covid Test requirements for entering the UK
NOTE: Keep receipts for travel reimbursement
Arriving in the UK
Before Arrival Topics
- Start 100th PCS
- Getting Started
- Command Sponsorship
- EFMP Screening
- Passports & Visas
- Book Lodging
- Book Travel
- Traveling with Pets
- Shipping Household Goods
- Shipping Vehicle
- Set Up Overseas P.O. Box
- Child Care & Youth Programs Prep
- School Registration Prep
- Legal Services
- Cell Phones & Keeping in Touch
- Credit Cards